1. Home
  2.  » Modifications

Changing Your Family Court Order

The goal of every family court order is to create an arrangement that will work well for years to come. As circumstances change, however, a modification to the original order may be appropriate. An order that worked well for your family at the time of your divorce may no longer be functional or appropriate. Moreover, an unforeseen circumstance, such as the endangerment of a minor child, the loss of a job or source of income, or an unexpected increased need of an individual, may make the terms of a prior order unreasonable and unfair.

When circumstances change, a modification may be the best solution. In order to secure a modification in Minnesota, the courts need to be persuaded of its necessity and benefit. Modification requests are not automatically approved, and there are specific criteria that need to be met before the court will grant them. Some common issues for which modifications are often sought include:

  • Child custody Drugs or alcohol abuse, physical/emotional abuse or neglect, a move out-of-state or to a new school district, or an older child’s reasonable preference can be grounds to modify a child custody order. Most commonly, the Court will assess whether a child’s present environment endangers the child’s physical or emotional health or impairs the child’s emotional development when determining whether a modification is necessary or appropriate.
  • Child support A substantial increase or decrease in income, need, or in parenting time may warrant a modification of child support.
  • Spousal maintenance Remarriage or cohabitation, getting laid off or accepting a new, higher paying job may warrant a modification of spousal maintenance.

We help people pursue and oppose modifications.

Get The Resolution You Need

At Johnson Bigelbach Law, PLLC, we know that an out-of-date order can create real harm, and we will work hard to help you develop an order that works for your current circumstances. . On the other hand, we understand that sometimes modifications are unnecessary or can be damaging. We have the courtroom experience to get the resolution you need in your modification case.

An Attorney To Protect Your Rights In Modification Cases

If your family court orders no longer work for you or you want to oppose a proposed modification, turn to Johnson Bigelbach Law, PLLC. To schedule an initial consultation with one of our attorneys, call 612-778-1717, or contact us online.